30+ Inspiring Plastic Pollution Quotes and Slogans
Plastic pollution is a fast-growing problem with worldwide impacts on environmental, animal, and human health. With awareness beginning to spread about the scale of this issue, we’ve collected 10 plastic pollution quotes , 10 facts about plastic pollution , and 10 plastic pollution slogans .
Facts About Plastic Pollution
It’s important that we (including you) understand that plastic pollution is not something that happens in isolated parts of the world . Eveything in the world is related, and things that happen in one part of our planet has consequences on the opposite side of the world .
- Plastics consistently make up 80% of all marine debris studied.
- There may now be around 5.25 trillion macro and microplastic pieces floating in the open ocean . Weighing up to 269,000 tons.
- 90% of plastic is produced from feedstock obtained from fossil oil and gas.
- 90% of plastic is produced from feedstock obtained from fossil oil and gas.
- Less than a third of all plastic in the UK is recycled.
- Up to 12.7 million tons of plastic enters the oceans every year.
- There are five trillion pieces of plastic in our oceans  – enough to circle the Earth over 400 times.
- Only about 9% of this plastic has been recycled, 12% has been burned and the remaining 79% has ended up in landfills or the environment .
- About 8.3 billion tons of plastic has been produced since the 1950s – the weight of roughly a billion elephants or 47 million blue whales.
- In the Canadian Arctic, 87% of birds have ingested plastics of some sort.
- People living along rivers and coastlines in China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are the most impacted by plastic pollution.
10 famous quotes on plastic pollution in the ocean can be found in the next section.
Plastic Pollution Quotes
“We are being choked to death by the amount of plastic that we throw away. It’s killing our oceans . It’s entering into our bodies in the fish we eat.” — Kevin Bacon, Actor
This quote references an important fact; plastic waste in the ocean eventually degrades into tiny microplastics that enter our bodies when we eat seafood.
“ Plastic will be the main ingredient of all our grandchildren’s recipes.” — Anthony Hincks, Writer
Here, Anthony Hincks warns us about the accumulation of plastic in our food chain – not only sealife but also farm animals often ingest plastic waste .
“ Plastic waste is now found in the most remote areas of the planet . It kills marine life and is doing major harm to communities that depend on fishing and tourism.” — Antonio Guterres, Former Prime Minister of Portugal
This quote by Antonio Guterres points out how widespread the plastic pollution problem has become – it affects every part of the world and harms those people whose livelihoods rely on the ocean .
“Right now, eight million tonnes of plastics end up in the oceans every year. The actions of any one of us may seem to be trivial and to have no effects, but the knowledge that there are thousands, hundreds of thousands of people who are doing the same thing — that really does have an effect.” — Sir David Attenborough , British Wildlife Documentary Presenter
David Attenborough here highlights how we can solve global crises such as plastic pollution through individual actions repeated among many people at a large scale. By helping to grow awareness about the effects of plastic pollution we can inspire widespread action!
“ Plastics , in all forms – straws, bottles, packaging, bags , etc – are all choking our planet … We must find ways to reduce and eventually eliminate single-use plastic products.” — Jerry Brown, Former Governor of California
This quote reminds us that plastic waste has many forms and the only long-term solution is to eliminate single-use plastics from our lives and societies.
“We make so many things that don’t require the longevity that plastic has — we don’t need a straw that we will use to sip one drink that will stay in the environment forever.” — Heidi Taylor, Managing Director of Australian charity Tangaroa Blue
The above quote raises an important question, why should we use long-lasting plastic to make items that are designed to be thrown away after only one use?
“Forget bottled water ; tap water is just as good! Pour it into a reusable water bottle, and always have fresh water on the go without wasting plastic .” — Ashlan Gorse Cousteau , American Journalist
In her quote above, Ashlan Gorse Cousteau provides us with a practical suggestion for reducing plastic waste ; indeed, many single-use plastic items have perfectly good reusable equivalents.
“It cannot be right to manufacture billions of objects that are used for a matter of minutes, and then are with us for centuries.” English Ocean Rower
This is a famous quote on plastic pollution from four times Guinness World Record holder Roz Savage.In fact, accepting widespread use of disposable plastics shows short-term thinking that we will doubtless regret later on…
“Industrial pollution and the discarding of plastic waste must be tackled for the sake of all life in the ocean .” — Sir David Attenborough , British Wildlife Documentary Presenter
Sir David Attenborough is a powerful commenter on the ecological crises faced by the world , and this quote urges us that time is short to solve the plastic pollution crisis, and not only individuals but also industries must work together to avert disaster.
“How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is clearly Ocean .” — Arthur C. Clarke, Science Fiction Writer
We’ve heard some great quotes about plastic in the ocean , and this final quote from seminal science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke hammers home the importance of ocean conservation for our planet – after all, the oceans cover 70% of Earth’s surface. If we use them as our waste dumps we will surely suffer harmful consequences in the long term.
Do you have more ocean pollution quotes you think we should share? Feel free to get in touch with us about any suggestions on SeaChain’s Telegram channel (https://t.me/SeaChainNetwork).
Interesting (and Shocking) Plastic Pollution Facts
We have collected 10 disturbing facts about the plastic pollution crisis we face as a world . See these facts about plastic pollution below!
- 100% of baby sea turtles have plastic in their stomachs.
- 1 million plastic bottles are bought every minute.
- 8.3 billion tons of plastic has been produced since the 1950s, and only 9% has been recycled.
- 8 million tons of plastic enters the Earth’s oceans annually.
- There is enough plastic in our oceans to circle the Earth more than 400 times.
- By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the oceans .
- Once in the ocean , plastic debris never fully biodegrades.
- Plastic waste causes $13 billion of damage to marine ecosystems annually.
- Plastic bags kill over 100,000 marine animals and birds every year.
- The amount of plastic that humans use every year weighs the same as 30 million elephants.
Plastic awareness slogans
If you need some catchy slogans to help raise awareness about plastic waste , we have you covered. Here are our top 10 favorite catchy plastic pollution slogans :
- We want evolution, not more pollution!
- Plastic bags are such a drag!
- Recycle for the oceans!
- Be the solution, not the pollution!
- Let’s get drastic, stop using plastic!
- Bottle reuse not plastic misuse!
- Say no to single-use plastics!
- Cancel plastic production, not our future!
- Be enthusiastic about recycling plastic!
- One bottle each for a cleaner beach!
As global warming is on the rise every year being environmentally friendly is no longer an option but a must. Knowing plastic pollution quotes is a fun way to expose the problem when speaking with others, but at the end of the day you want to make sure you don’t threaten marine life and instead use an environmentally friendly product.
Plastic free living is not as easy as you might think, and avoiding the purchase of any plastic bottle will seem almost impossible at some point, but you can start by questioning if you really need that plastic bag you’ll grab or be offered sometime today.